Recipe by AshK
A quick low-fat casserole that I threw together one night when I was low on tortilla shells.
Top Review by megs_
Wow! This is fabulous! I followed it exactly using ground turkey and chipotle-flavor tabasco sauce. I didn't even need any of the additional toppings -- it was great as is. I did throw some sliced jalepenos on the top for a little kick. So great! I will make this often, thanks for sharing. :)
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- canola oil cooking spray (3 sprays)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese or 1 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- baked corn tortilla chips, crushed
- low-fat sour cream (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- lettuce (optional)
- diced onion (optional)
- diced green pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly spray pan with oil and brown ground turkey. Mix Tabasco with the tomato sauce and pour over the browned turkey. Simmer until slightly thickened.
- Spray bottom of 9 x 9 casserole (with lid) and cover with the tortilla shells. I tear them and place them so they cover the entire bottom.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the cheese on the shells, spread refried beans over the cheese and then top the beans with your turkey and tomato mixture.
- Cover the top with the crushed chips and remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake until the cheese is bubbly. Remove the lid and let the cheese brown slightly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Great topped with lettuce, sour cream, salsa, diced peppers and onions.