Recipe by Branfletch
This recipe is from a Weight Watchers Cookbook. Use two spoons when dropping your dumplings: one to scoop up the dough the other to push the sticky dough into the soup. Once you add the dumplings, don't allow the soup to come to a boil, or the dumplings will fall apart.
- 4.92 ml canola oil
- 177.44 ml diced onion
- 158.51 ml diced celery or 2 celery ribs
- 354.88 ml sliced carrots or 3 medium carrots
- 473.18 ml chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 907.18 g container reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 236.59 ml water
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 9.85 ml chopped fresh rosemary
- 1.23 ml salt
- 29.58 ml butter, cut into small pieces
- 177.44 ml low-fat buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot; saute 10 minutes or until tender. Add chicken, broth, water, and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- 2. While soup simmers, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, rosemary, and salt into a bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixtures resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, stirring just until moist.
- 3. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls into simmering chicken mixture. Cover and cook over low heat 11 minutes (do not let soup boil). YIELD: 6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup chicken mixture and 3 dumplings).