Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This warming casserole can be made ahead, tightly wrapped and frozen until needed. Perfect for hectic holiday times! It came off of the WW web site.This recipe is part of our Cook Once, Eat All Week series.
- cooking spray (1 spray)
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced (es)
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 340.19 g raw lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml canned tomato sauce
- 473.18 ml fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 118.29 ml shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 14.79 ml parsley or 14.79 ml oregano or 14.79 ml rosemary, chopped
- 0.59 ml table salt (to taste)
- 0.59 ml black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 500ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread tomatoes and zucchini over sheet. Roast vegetables for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanhwile, in a large, nonstick skillet, sauté beef, onion and garlic until beef is browned. Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Spread beef mixture in a large, shallow baking dish (3 quart or 9 X 13-inches) and top with roasted vegetables. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- Whisk together cottage cheese, egg yolk, cheddar cheese, herbs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spoon over roasted vegetables and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Bake until very hot and bubbling around edges, about 35 minutes. Cut into six equal pieces and serve immediately. (Note: If preparing casserole in advance and freezing it, make sure to thaw it completely in the refrigerator before baking it. Increase the baking time by 5 to 10 minutes.).
The hubby and I liked this quite a bit. Makes me think of zucchini (or no noodle) lasagna. Leftovers were just as good too. :)