Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 40 mins
- cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless bottom round roast, well trimmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 large red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered (about 1 3/4 lbs)
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Coat a Dutch oven (a large pot with a tight-fitting lid) with cooking spray.
- Heat over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle roast with pepper and salt.
- Place in pot and scatter onions around roast.
- Cook, turning roast and stirring onions occasionally, until roast and onions are browned, about 8 minutes.
- Pour water into pot; stir in soup mix, vinegar and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook 1 1/2 hours.
- Place potatoes and carrots around roast; cover and bake until roast and vegetables are tender, about 2 hours more.
- Remove one potato from pot and puree in a blender.
- Stir into gravy to thicken.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board and slice against grain into 16 slices.
- Serve with vegetables and gravy.
- Yields about 2 slices of meat, 1 cup of vegetables and 1/4 cup of gravy per serving.
Great flavored roast. I fixed mine in the crock pot after browning along with the onions. Cooked all day and it was so tender and flavorful it's hard to believe this is weight watchers approved! My carnivorous man loved it and I didn't tell him it was weight watchers. This was great with a side of Low-Fat Big Crunch Coleslaw (#78566). Thanks mariposa13 for a winner.
I tried this one before it was posted here. Delicious and Core.
awesome! very tasty and near as greasy or fatty as some of the other roasts I've made. The spices are perfect, wouldn't change a THING. My husband, 2 year old, 6 year old and I all agree it was great! Served it last night and there's no left overs today. Thanks for posting!