Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a low-fat recipe website.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 ounces thinly sliced smoked ham, divided into 4 portions
- 2 ounces thinly sliced low-fat swiss cheese, divided into 4 portions
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2⁄3 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Coat a baking rack with cooking spray, then place the rack on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Butterfly each piece of chicken by slicing into the breast horizontally so you can open it like a book.
- Lay one quarter of the ham and cheese on one side of each breast, leaving 1/2 inch at edge uncovered, then close each piece.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg whites, buttermilk and mustard and blend until creamy.
- In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Gently dip each piece of chicken in the crumb mixture, then into the egg white mixture, then again in the crumb mixture.
- Set on baking rack.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned, and chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Very good recipe. I used panko breadcrumbs so that it would be nice and crispy. Needed a bit more salt to suit our tastes but otherwise, no changes necessary. Thanks for posting! We'll be enjoying this one again.
This was a really yummy dinner that we had tonight. It was much better than one of those frozen, prepared Chickens you can get at Costco etc, and I LOVE THOSE! I found it took quite a bit longer than 15 minutes for me to prepare, but I also had two kids clammoring for my attention. I prepared it exactly as the directions suggest. I did run out of topping, and had to make more, but I used homemade bread crumbs, so that might have made a difference. I served it with rice and steamed broccoli. Thanks mariposa13 for a delicious, and healthy recipe!