Recipe by Goegirl
Over the years, my meatloaf just has less and less meat in it. Not only is this yummy, moist and flavourful, but it's only 6 WW points! This is a great way to sneak veggies into the meat eaters in your house! My husband has no idea how little meat is in our meatloaf.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork (you can use chicken, turkey, veal... just something to broaden the flavour a bit)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄3 cup white beans, cooked and cold (leftover)
- 1⁄4 cup rice, cooked and cold (leftover is best, 1 cup cooked)
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, pureed
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach (or 1 package frozen and drained)
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Moosh the onions, mushrooms, spinach, carrots and beans and seasonings in the food processor (or you can just chop them up really fine). *You can use up almost any little bits of leftover veggies--as long as you chop them up fine enough! Try: fresh parsley, basil, dill is nice, steak seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, zucchini, parsnips, squash, mashed yams, etc.
- Put all ingredients (except the ketchup, vinegar and brown sugar) into a large bowl or into the bowl of your mixer and mix together.
- Mix ketchup, vinegar and brown sugar and spread it on the top of the loaf in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Shape into a loaf and bake at 375°F for 60 - 90 minutes - till it reaches an internal temp of 170°F.
- This is enough for two smaller loaves or one big loaf and a batch of meatballs.