Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
From WW site.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 lbs lean flank steak (2-1 1/2 pound steaks, trimmed)
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large sweet red peppers, seeded, cored and chopped
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and shredded
- 3 medium celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Whisk the broth, vinegar, cumin, paprika, salt, black and cayenne peppers in a 5 or 6 quart crock pot.
- Submerge the meat, then add the onions, red peppers, apples, celery and garlic (making sure the vegetables are under the broth, between and over the steaks).
- Cover and cook on low until the meat is fork-tender, about 8 hours.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Shred the meat with two forks, pulling it into strands along the grain.
- Return to slow cooker, stir in cilantro.
- Set the slow cooker on warm and serve within 4 hours.
- Points figured for 1 1/4 cups per serving.
This is the best recipe. My fiance would jab someone with a fork if they came near his plate. The flavor, texture and all around taste are perfect. I like that the recipe omits the tomato sauce, which other recipes include.
I have to say I was completely dubious at first, but this turned out REALLY well. I used an even cheaper cut of beef (chuck round)and it was great. In fact, I put the leftovers in a container and 4-5 days later i found them and they were even better...this is certainly a make ahead option. I served it with a quick spanish rice side dish and some fat free sour cream on the side. Thanks for a good one!