- 12 ounces uncooked ziti pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 lb raw lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions without added fat or salt; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks, about 3 to 5 minutes; drain off any fat and return pan to heat.
- Add oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper; stir to coat beef.
- Cook until herbs become fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon a small amount of tomato mixture into the bottom of a 4-quart casserole dish (just enough to cover the surface).
- Top with half of the cooked ziti and then layer with half of the remaining tomato sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Layer remaining ziti on top and top with remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- 5 Points yields about 1 cup per serving.