Prep 48 hrs
Cook 25 mins
From WW Slim Ways Mexican Cookbook. You'll need to start making this 2 days before serving. It is customarily baked in banana leaves, which lend a distinctive flavor, but foil works fine.
- 7.39 ml achiote seeds
- 4.92 ml coriander seed
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml whole black peppercorn
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 1.23 ml cumin seed
- 2 whole cloves
- 4.92 ml cider vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2.46 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml fresh lime juice
- 14.79 ml grapefruit juice
- 14.79 ml fresh orange juice
- 9.85 ml grated orange zest
- 425.24 g chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 4.92 ml corn oil
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced onion
- 2 medium fresh hot chili peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 1 medium tomatoes, cut into 4 equal slices
- To prepare the achiote paste, in spice mill or mini-jar blender, combine achiote and coriander seeds, salt, peppercorns, cinnamon, oregano, cumin seeds and cloves; process to a coarse powder.
- Transfer spice mixture to small bowl. Add vinegar, garlic and flour; stir to combine. Let mixture stand overnight.
- To prepare chicken, in gallon-size sealable plastic bag, combine prepared achiote paste, lime juice, grapefruit juice, orange juice and zest; add chicken. Seal bag, squeezing out air, turn to coat chicken. Refridgerate overnight, turning bag occasionally.
- To prepare vegetables, in medium non-stick skillet, heat oil; add onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 10-12 minute until onion is golden brown. Stir in peppers, remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with foil. Cut four 12 inch squares of heavy duty foil; spray with nonstick cooking spray (omit this if using banana leaves).
- Drain chicken, discard marinade. On each prepared foil square (or banana leaf) place one quarter of the chicken, one quarter of the onion-pepper mixture, and one tomato slice. Fold sides over filling, crimping to seal. Place packets on prepared baking sheet; bake 20 min until chicken is cooked through. Let stand 10 min; open packets carefully.
- 4 points per serving (1 packet).
Wonderful recipe!!! I made it for 80 diners last night at the American Legion in Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico as part of a meal featuring dishes from the Yucatan. They raved about the flavor. For that many people I used a premade recado of anchiote and layered the chicken with banana leaves. Again I recommend this recipe to all.
I haven't tried making this the way the recipe calls for it, but I know that traditionally this dish includes a sprig of epazote in each packet. This was one of my favorite foods in restaurants in mexico