Recipe by mariposa13
From WW Slim Ways Mexican. Traditionally served on November 2 to celebrate the Day of the Dead. This is a less fattening version.
- 1 (8 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 cups minus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons corn oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 teaspoons stick unsalted margarine, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, sprinkle yeast over lukewarm water; stir to combine. Let stand 10 min until yeast is dissolved.
- In large bowl or food processor, combine all but 1 tbsp of the flour, all but 1 tsp of the salt and sugar. With on-off motion, pulse processor until mixture is blended.
- Add egg substitute, oil, zest, and food coloring to yeast mixture; stir to combine. If using large bowl, stir egg mixture into flour mixture, beating vigorously to combine. Transfer mixture to work surface, knead 10 minute until the dough is soft and elastic. If using food processor, with machine on, slowly add yeast mixture to flour mixture; process 1 min until dough forms a ball and cleans sides of bowl.
- Spray clean large bowl with nonstick spray. Transfer dough to prepared bowl. Let rise in warm, draft-free place, loosely covered, 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Spray 8 inch springform or round cake pan with nonstick spray.
- Punch down dough. Sprinkle work surface with remaining 1 tbsp flour; transfer dough to work surface. Cut off one quarter of the dough, set aside. Form remaining dough into ball, press gently into prepared pan.
- With thumb, make deep indentations into center of dough, forming a pattern that looks like 2 eyes, a nose, and a mouth. Shape reserved dough into 4 bone shaped pieces. Place 2 "bones" crisscrossed above "eyes" and 2 "bones" crisscrossed below "mouth." Let dough rise, covered loosely with plastic wrap, 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Adjust oven rack to divide oven in half.
- Place dough in center of cold oven, set temp to 350. Bake 20 minute.
- Spray foil lined baking sheet with nonstick spray. Carefully remove bread from pan and place on baking sheet. Leave oven on. Brush top of bread evenly with margarine, sprinkle with reserved 1 tsp sugar. Bake 10 min longer, until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Transfer to wire rack to cool, slice.
- VARIATION: Substitute 2 tsp sweet butter, melted, for the margarine.
- 3 Points per serving (1/8 of bread).