Recipe by mariposa13
From WW online. Can also be made with pears instead of apples. Partially cooking a hard-shell squash makes it easier to peel. Pierce the gourd in several places with a fork, microwave on HIGH for 6 to 10 minutes, depending on size, and then peel.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons gingerroot, grated
- 1 medium leek, white part only, coarsely chopped
- 4 3⁄4 ounces frozen apple juice concentrate, about 1/2 cup (undiluted)
- 3 large apples, Golden Delicious, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, cut into chunks and seeded (1 large or 2 small squash)
- 4 cups canned chicken broth, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup half & half light cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ginger, leek and apple juice concentrate in a large pot; cover and simmer until leeks are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add apples, squash and 1 cup of broth; cover and simmer until very tender, about 1 hour.
- Purée soup in pot using a hand-held immersion blender.
- Or purée soup in a blender in small batches (be careful not to splatter the hot liquid) and return the puréed soup to the pot.
- Add remaining 3 cups of broth, salt and pepper; simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in creamer and serve.
- 3 Points yields about 1 cup per serving.