Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 10 mins
From WW Slim Ways Mexican. This is a lower fat version. It does take a long time to make but is worth it. Can divide it into 1 cup portions and freeze for future use.
- 2 (6 inch) corn tortillas, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pureed canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 ounce blanched almond
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 teaspoon corn oil
- 8 medium dried mulato bell peppers, seeded and torn into pieces
- 3 medium dried pasilla peppers, seeded and torn into pieces
- 2 medium dried ancho peppers, seeded and torn into pieces
- boiling water, to cover
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place tortilla pieces in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake 20-30 min until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine tomatoes, cocoa, pureed peppers, aniseed, black pepper, cinnamon, and cloves. Add baked tortilla pieces, stir to combine.
- In medium nonstick skillet, toast almonds, sesame seeds and coriander seeds over low heat, stirring constantly, 5-7 minute until almonds are golden brown. Stir in tomato mixture.
- In same skillet, heat 2 tsp of the oil, add mulato, pasilla, and ancho peppers. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 2 min, until peppers are browned. With slotted spoon, transfer peppers to med bowl. Add boiling water to cover. Let stand 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in same skillet, heat remaining 2 tsp oil. Add onions. Cook over med heat, stirring frequently, 10-12 min, until golden brown. Add raisins and garlic, cook, stirring frequently, 2 min longer. Add to tomato mixture.
- Drain peppers, add to tomato mixture.
- In batches, transfer tomato mixture to food processor or blender, puree until smooth. Add broth as needed.
- Place medium sieve over same large bowl. Strain tomato mixture throuh sieve, pressing with back of wooden spoon. Discard solids. Stir remaining broth, the sugar and salt into tomato mixture. Refridgerate, covered, until thickened and chilled.
- 2 Points per serving (1/4 cup).