Recipe by mariposa13
From a low-fat recipe website. I've never tried any kind of eggplant before, so please rate this if you try it! Update: I am updating this in regards to the comment about this being 5 points instead of 2... this recipe was listed as being 2 points from the source I got it from. I have noticed that the nutritional listing on recipezaar is not completely accurate. So, please decide for yourself how you want to calculate this, but I have posted several recipes directly from ww with the points value that they list it as, but if you try to calculate it based on the nutrition info zaar gives you then you will get a different reading. Just FYI
- 2 lbs eggplants (2)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup slivered fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Spray 2 large baking sheets and a 12x8 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut egg plant crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- In medium bowl, whisk egg whites with 3 tablespoons water until frothy.
- In shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Dip eggplant into egg white mixture then coat both sides with bread crumb mixture. Arrange slices in single layer on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 20 minutes, turn eggplant slices over, then bake another 20 minutes or until golden and very tender when pierced with a knife. In medium bowl, combine tomatoes and basil. Spread about 1 cup of sauce in bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Lay half of the eggplant slices over sauce, overlapping them slightly.
- Spoon 1 cup of remaining sauce over eggplant, then sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella.
- Arrange remaining egg plant slices on top, pressing down into an even layer.
- Top with remaining sauce, mozzarella, and the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned.