Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Here's a great salad for those BBQ's that are so hard to eat healthy at.
- 2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup dill pickle, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas and carrot
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, chopped
- Cook macaroni according to package directions without added salt or fat. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain again.
- Meanwhile, to make dressing, combine mayo, sour cream, pickles and onion powder in a small bowl; mix well.
- Combine macaroni, celery, pepper, peas and carrots, cheese and scallions in a large mixing bowl. Pour dressing over macaroni salad; toss lightly to coat. Cover and chill for a least 2 hours.
- 1/2 cup per serving.
"Oh, really? Your making macaroni salad?" My Mom and Hubby aren't fans of mac salad, they prefer potato salad. Well, this was so good my Mom and Hubby wouldn't stop "tasting" it before I could add the celery. Added hard boiled egg to my Hubby's serving. This is a keeper for us and I will be making it all summer long. I used Dream Field Elbow Pasta and chopped sweet white onion, omitting the scallion and onion power.
I lvoe the concept of this, and have ended up enjoying it, but have had to tweak it quite a lot. I found it to be way too dry so I added another large spoonful of both ff mayo and ff sour cream. I also added a huge shake of garlic powder, though I think some other spices would be nice. It is definitely filling and easy, though. Thanks for posting.