Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
From WW Slim Ways Mexican.
- 4.92 ml corn oil or 4.92 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml thickly sliced onion
- 4 medium poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 118.29 ml vegetable broth or 118.29 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 1.23 ml oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 0.25 ml salt
- In medium non-stick skillet, heat oil and add onions. Cook over med heat, stirring frequently, 8-10 minute until onions are lightly browned. Add peppers and garlic, cook, stirring frequently, 2 minute longer.
- Add broth, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, and salt to onion mixture. Bring liquid to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove and discard bay leaf, serve mixture hot or at room temperature.
- 1 point per serving (1/2 cup).
I enjoyed the flavors of this but had some problems with the texture. After 8 minutes my onions were fairly carmelized and browned. They were also very dry given the small amount of oil in this low fat dish. Really ready to serve at that point. Continued with the recipe as stated, adding the broth and boiling it off. I found this made the onions quite good but left the peppers a tad to mushy. Perhaps this was becase they were prety soft from the roasting. Wondering if this would have worked better if the broth were slowly added to the onions while they were cooking then adding the garlic and peppers at the end. Will certainly play with this a bit as I love peppers and onions. Served mine with pork chops at dinner and with scrambled eggs the next day. Thanks!
Quick and easy to make, wonderfully flavoursome and SO low in fat (2.8g), so I’ll certainly be making this again, often! I have zero tolerance of hot and spicy foods so I made this with sweet red baby peppers and I doubled the garlic and added some Greek mixed spices to the herbs. For the stock, I used my chicken stock version of my Vegetable Stock Vegetable Stock. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe. Just loved it!