Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From ww magazine.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small vidalia onions or 1 small other sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 lbs ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups cold water
- 6 -12 paper thin lemon slices, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat; add the onion and cook, stirring, until tender, 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the tomato and salt; bring to just a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are soft and juicy, about 15 minutes.
- Pass the tomato mixture through a food mill or sieve (to remove the seeds and skin) and return it to the pot.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Stir in lemon juice and enough cold water to make 6 cups.
- If serving immediately, divide among 6 soup bowls and top each with 1 or 2 lemon slices.
- Or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days; let stand 30 minutes at room temp before garnishing and serving.
- 1 point per serving (1 cup).