1/3 Photos of Wurst Salat (Pork Sausage and Cheese Salad)
This sausage and cheese salad is popular in the German part of Switzerland. The recipe is adapted from a Dr. Oetker recipe. This salad makes a great lunch served with rolls. You can also substitute the pork sausage with cooked chicken sausage or leftover pork loin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb onion, peeled and sliced in rings
- 1/2 lb emmenthaler cheese (or common Swiss cheese)
- 12 ounces sausages (must use a cooked sausage, can use summer sausage, a good bologna, knackwurst, or frankfurter, but n)
- 3 ounces gherkins
- 4 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon mustard (preferably a German mustard or one like Gulden's)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons salad oil (like canola or sunflower)
- 2 teaspoons chives, chopped
- 1Pour water into a pot and bring to a boil. Place the onion rings in the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Pour into a sieve and let drain thoroughly.
- 2Remove any rind from the cheese and cut into strips about 1/4 " X 1".
- 3Remove any skin from the sausage and cut into slices about 1/8" X 1'.
- 4Slice the gherkins about 1/8" thick.
- 5Place the onion rings, cheese strips, and sliced sausage and gherkins in a salad bowl.
- 6Make the dressing by mixing together the vinegar and water, adding the mustard, salt, pepper and sugar, and whisking in the oil.
- 7Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix well.
- 8Refrigerate for at least one hour to let the flavors blend.
- 9Sprinkle with chives before serving.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wurst Salat (Pork Sausage and Cheese Salad)
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.3
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 61.2 mg
- Sodium 745.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 13.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: