Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Season Pressed Bean Curd from Florence Lin's Chinese Vegetarian Cooking
- 6 pieces fresh firm tofu, waterpacked
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 whole star anise or 8 star anise pods
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon msg
- The tofu called for is six 3 X 3 X 1/3 inch squares.
- Do not make this in very hot weather. It sours.
- Press the bean curd to remove excess water. Do this by wrapping in cheese cloth and placing on a slanted board. Place very heavy plates or other flat surface on top. Place weights on top of that. The water will drain out slowly. Allow to sit overnight or at least 8 hours in a cool place. The time is recommended by Lin.
- To cook:.
- Bring water to boil. in small saucepan. Add remaining marinade ingredients. Simmer 5 minutes. Let sauce cool then add pressed bean curd [cover it completely] Simmer 10 minutes on low heat. Do NOT LET BOIL. Remove and let curd soak over night. Drain cut into pieces and serve or use in other dishes such as Ch'in Ts'ai Pan Kan Szu.
- If desired keep covered and refrigerated for up to 2 weeks in Marinade.