Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Alton Brown and the Food Network. This is a great little tip for "writing" on your edibles. Use it on cakes, cookies, muffins, pancakes, whatever. You're only limited by your imagination. I have also used this recipe with white chocolate chips, worked very well. You don't even need pastry bags or tips for this one. Yield is approximate, as I didn't measure the chocolate once melted.
- For microwave: In a small bowl, combine the chocolate chips and the canola oil.
- Heat on High for 3 minutes, depending on your microwave.
- Stir well.
- For double boiler:.
- Combine chocolate chips and canola oil in top of double boiler.
- Melt very slowly, stirring occasionally until all of chocolate is melted and combined with the oil.
- After chocolate is melted, pour into an ordinary squeeze bottle (I found a package of 3 meant for mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup at Wal-Mart).
- Make sure lid is SECURELY attached.
- Ask me why this is important!
- Squeeze the bottle and decorate to your heart's content.
This was a lot of fun!! I made spirals and hearts...all kinds of fun stuff for a cake I made today for Valentines. I melted my chips with 2 tsps veg shortening in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. I spooned it into a freezer bag, snipped the end of and went at it. I practiced on a piece of wax paper before decorating and on a whim stuck the paper in the freezer for a min or two and ended up useing them as well!! I carfully lifted the set designs off the paper and stood them up in the frosting. You were correct in saying you are only limited by you imagination. Thank you for posting, I'm positive I will be doing this again and again!
Perfect. Used double boiler and a plastic sandwich bag. Used it to decorate my muffins and had some left over so made some shapes to keep in the fridge for the next time i make a cake. thanks
Totally easy and worked great. I stuck it it the microwave, it only took about 2 minutes, then poured it into a squeeze bottle, and it wrote perfectly. Thank You!