1/3 Photos of Wow Them Tamale Pie
This colorful, hearty casserole is lighter than the traditional Mexican dish. It makes an impressive centerpiece when company's coming or when you want to make a crowd-pleaser!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrot
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers or 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 small fresh green chili pepper, minced, seeds removed for a milder hot
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes (15-oz. can, undrained)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans (15-oz. can) or 1 1/2 cups kidney beans (15-oz. can) or 1 1/2 cups black beans (15-oz. can)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces grated low-fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- minced scallion
- chopped fresh cilantro
- nonfat sour cream (optional)
- 1Warm the olive oil in a heavy or nonstick saucepan.
- 2Add the onion and garlic, cover, and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- 3Add the cumin, coriander, oregano, enough water to prevent sticking,and the carrots, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- 4Add the bell peppers, zucchini, and chile, cover, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in the tomatoes and beans, cover, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 6Remove from the heat.
- 7Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- 8Preheat the oven to 400*.
- 9Prepare a 2-qt. nonreactive casserole dish with cooking spray or a very light coating of oil.
- 10Spread the vegetable-bean mixture in the bottom of the dish.
- 11If you are using the Cheddar cheese, sprinkle it evenly on top.
- 12Set aside.
- 13In a mixing bowl, thoroughly combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- 14In a separate bowl, beat egg whites till starting to peak, then gently stir in buttermilk, and oil.
- 15Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring, just until mixed.
- 16Pour the batter directly on top of the vegetable-bean mixture, pressing it down a little with a spatula.
- 17Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is golden and a knife inserted into the topping comes out clean.
- 18Garnish with minced scallions, chopped cilantro,and, if you like, nonfat sour cream.
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wow Them Tamale Pie
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.0
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 420.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: