Recipe by KitchenManiac
Dad has forsaken many a meal outside, just so that he wouldn't miss out in this meal at home. Try it, and you will see the wonderful effect it has. :)
Top Review by Sue Lau
This had a great teriyaki type of flavor in the meat. The garlic turned out nicely; the grilling sweetened it and gave it a nice smoky flavor. A great way to have steak! I'll definitely make this recipe again! Thanks!
- 1 kg beef tenderloin or 1 kg boneless beef sirloin, cut into 4 steaks
- 1⁄2 cup soya sauce
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sake, rice wine or 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 slices ginger
- 2 spring onions, cut into 4 cm lengths
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 head garlic, peeled
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 toothpicks
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, sake, crushed garlic, ginger and spring onions.
- Pour over meat in a baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours (at least) Make garlic kebabs by threading three cloves of garlic onto each toothpick.
- Brush with sesame oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Leave them aside.
- Heat the grill to high and when ready to cook, oil the grill plate.
- Arrange the meat in a straight line on the centre of the grill.
- Sprinkle generously with black pepper.
- After 6-8 minutes for medium-done meat, turn the steak over using tongs, and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Add the garlic kebabs to the hot grill and cook for 2 minutes on each side.
- Place meat on platter and leave for 2-3 minutes.
- Place a steak on top of the kebabs and sprinkle with sesame seeds.