Recipe by Pabbit
This can be made with any meat. My husband prefers beef. He is a meat and potatoes man but this is for some reason one of his favorites anyway! It needs some simmer time and has many ingredients. I make a 4x batch and freeze.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 6 whole cardamom seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups cooked rice, warm
- peanuts, chopped
- orange section
- chutney (any flavor)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat.
- Drain and set aside.
- In same skillet, melt butter.
- Cook onions, seeds, cloves, garlic, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick for 10 minutes.
- Add curry powder, salt, pepper and tomato paste and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add browned meat and sour cream.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove seed, cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaf (I have a friend who refuses to find the seeds and cloves. Her husband loves this so much he doesn't mind occasionally biting down on them!) Serve over rice.
- Top as desired.
- My husband loves the fruit chilled.
- He tops with nuts and coconut, then whatever fruit we have chilled, then chutney.
- He eats until he hurts!
- I leave out the pepper.
- This dish has a lot of flavor and does not need hot, but some people need chutney to be hot.