Recipe by wildheart
This is a great make ahead, no boil lasagna. I've tried it at high altitude and low, ahead of time or that day. I've served as is, or added a layer of torn up spinach and pesto leaves on top of the cheese layers. For a wedding, I once made 3 pans of this. It's great!
Top Review by Jezski
Wildheart, this is one of the very best lasagna recipes I ever made. I used all ricotta, no cottage cheese. I had to hold it overnight and baked it the next day. It was perfect: good texture, good flavor. A nice solid easy-to-cut lasagna. Thanks for sharing....Janet
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (32 ounce) can spaghetti sauce or 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon diced garlic
- 1 lb fat-free cottage cheese or 1 lb low fat cottage cheese
- 8 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese
- 12 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup water
- 8 -10 uncooked lasagna noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the beef and garlic in a skillet.
- Add spaghetti sauce; heat on low.
- While meat sauce is heating, mix the cottage cheese, ricotta, mozzarella, egg, and 1/2 cup of the parmesan.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Put a layer of noodles over the sauce, so that none overlap.
- If you have to break a noodle to fill in gaps over 1/2 inch, that's okay.
- Put a layer of cheese mix over the noodles.
- Add about 1/2 of the remaining meat sauce; spread over cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- End with cheese on top; put remaining parmesan on top of the other chesse.
- Pour 1 cup of water around inside edges of the pan, and cover with foil.
- **Bake in a 350 oven for 1 hour, then uncover and bake 15 minutes more.
- Take from oven and let cool about 10 minutes before serving.
- Can be refrigerated up to 48 hours at this point.