Prep 4 hrs
Cook 40 mins
This is a keeper!
- 5 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 6 cups flour
- Combine the yeast, sugar and water. Let stand until foamy.
- Add the oil, salt, water and flour 1 cup at time until a dough forms.
- Knead until smooth.
- Place in a sprayed bowl. Cover with a damp towel. Let rise 2 hours.
- Punch down. Return to bowl. Cover. Let rest 30 minutes.
- Knead briefly. Divide into 12 pieces.
- Roll out each into a 4-6 inch circle.
- Place on sprayed wax paper, then cover with more sprayed wax paper.
- Let rest 30 minutes.
- Heat a dry iron skillet over medium heat.
- Cook each pita about 3 minutes each side or until puffed and speckeled.
- Wrap each in foil when done.
- Serve warm.
This was my first time making pita bread and it was easy! Turned out perfect. I used my kitchenaid to mix and knead the dough. The instructions are clear, easy to follow and turn out great results. Used this recipe for #81725 and topped with #257413. Delicious! Thanks for posting1