Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This macaroni salad is creamy and tangy, anything but bland.
- 1 lb dry mini penne pasta
- 1⁄2 medium red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 20 ounces sweet & spicy pickles
- 6 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons pickle juice
- salt or pepper or garlic powder
- Cook the pasta, don't overcook. Drain and rinse with cool water. Place in the biggest serving bowl you have.
- Chop the onion, red peppers, pickles and cheddar into bite-size pieces. Add to the pasta bowl.
- Combine the mayo, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, pickle juice in a separate bowl. Season to taste.
- Stir dressing in the pasta bowl. Make sure there are no dry spots.
- Chill for at least 3 hours. Can be made the night before.
Love this salad! I reduced the recipe down to about 1/4 of the recipe as I was preparing it only for myself. The only things I changed was the style of pasta and cheese. I used mini shells and shredded cheese as this is what I had on hand. I don't think the pasta made a difference in the taste, but the cheese probably did. Next time I will definitely make sure I have block cheese and cut it into cubes. Block cheese holds the flavor of the cheese better than pre-shredded. I think the pops of cubed cheese with the other flavors would be even more delicious. I used locally canned sweet spicy dill pickles and the spiciness in the pickle gave you a tickle of heat. This is great just by the recipe, but it lends itself to personal options of flavor, such as tomatoes or avocado. Thanks Dave#7!