Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I developed this recipe for a tasty, nutritional mac-n-cheese meal for my husband and me. It's also a good way to get spinach into kids!
- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium leek, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach, thawed and drained well
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare macaroni as directed on box and drain in colander.
- Heat butter and/or oil in large skillet. Add onions and leeks and sauté until tender. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add ham and spinach and heat through.
- Add flour, salt, pepper and turmeric, and cook for 30 seconds until flour is cooked through, stirring constantly. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted. Pour into 13x9 baking dish. Top with sliced tomato and remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- •Variation: substitute 2 diced chicken breast halves for the ham, Swiss cheese for the cheddar cheese, and add 1 4 oz. can mushrooms.