1 hr 15 mins
I got this recipe from my brother-in-law Dan, who got it from the Oregonian newspaper years ago. I've actually given this recipe as a gift! I double the sauce and freeze half for pasta later. Don't be intimidated by the long list of ingredients, it's well worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 crushed bay leaf
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 4 ounces black olives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
for cheese mixture
- 1Combine tomato sauce, tomato puree, tomato paste, water, bay leaf and oil in lg saucepan.
- 2Cook at medium-high heat, stirring constantly to a light boil.
- 3In a separate frying pan, sauté sausage.
- 4Drain fat and add garlic, mushrooms and onion, sautéing for 1-2 minutes.
- 5Add parsley and olives to the tomato sauce mixture and stir in the ground meat mixture.
- 6Add salt, sugar, oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil and pepper.
- 7Stir together and cook on med heat until mixture boils, stirring constantly.
- 8Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 9Preheat oven to 350°.
- 10Prepare meat sauce.
- 11Blend together eggs, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and 1 cup Parmesan cheese.
- 12In a casserole dish layer lasagna as follows:.
- 13Meat sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, noodles, meat sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, noodles, meat sauce and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- 14Bake for 35 minutes, uncovered.
- 15Check for doneness by poking through noodles with knife.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for World's Greatest Baked Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 610.8
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 148.4 mg
- Sodium 2026.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 33.7 g