1 hr 15 mins
I got this recipe from my brother-in-law Dan, who got it from the Oregonian newspaper years ago. I've actually given this recipe as a gift! I double the sauce and freeze half for pasta later. Don't be intimidated by the long list of ingredients, it's well worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 crushed bay leaf
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 4 ounces black olives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
for cheese mixture
- 1Combine tomato sauce, tomato puree, tomato paste, water, bay leaf and oil in lg saucepan.
- 2Cook at medium-high heat, stirring constantly to a light boil.
- 3In a separate frying pan, sauté sausage.
- 4Drain fat and add garlic, mushrooms and onion, sautéing for 1-2 minutes.
- 5Add parsley and olives to the tomato sauce mixture and stir in the ground meat mixture.
- 6Add salt, sugar, oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil and pepper.
- 7Stir together and cook on med heat until mixture boils, stirring constantly.
- 8Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 9Preheat oven to 350°.
- 10Prepare meat sauce.
- 11Blend together eggs, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and 1 cup Parmesan cheese.
- 12In a casserole dish layer lasagna as follows:.
- 13Meat sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, noodles, meat sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, noodles, meat sauce and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- 14Bake for 35 minutes, uncovered.
- 15Check for doneness by poking through noodles with knife.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for World's Greatest Baked Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 610.8
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 148.4 mg
- Sodium 2026.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 33.7 g