Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe a master chef from New York clued me in on. It takes a while to make, but is worth the wait!
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken in 10 pieces (top-quality)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (top quality)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly butter and flour a 9x9x2-inch square cake pan.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together onto a sheet of waxed paper.
- In top of a double boiler melt chocolate and butter over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- In an electric mixer mix eggs, sugar and vanilla on high until slightly thickened, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add melted chocolate mixture and mix on medium for 30 seconds.
- Add flour mixture and mix on low 10 seconds, then on medium 10 seconds.
- Add sour cream and mix on medium 5 seconds.
- Scrape around sides and bottom of bowl with a rubber spatula to combine thoroughly.
- Use spatula to fold in chopped chocolate. Pour batter into cake pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Allow brownies to cool 10 to 15 minutes before cutting with a serrated knife.