Recipe by sofsof007
Craving rich lasagna taste, but have no time to slave over this elaborate dish? Not a problem. I put lazy in lasagna - you'll have it ready for the oven in 10 minutes or less - promise. AND... drum roll... it's made with uncooked egg noodles! I came up with this idea after I spent almost an entire day making a lasagna from scratch. I make a great noodle kugel with uncooked egg noodles, so I thought - why not a lasagna?
Top Review by sosohungry
OK, I was very skeptical, I admit. But - I had most of the ingredients, very little time and nothing to feed the family for dinner. I had beef only, and let me tell you - it was so delicious, my husband asked me to make it for his buddies who come over to watch basketball. I think you can use any cheese you have in your fridge. Thumbs up.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 cups pasta sauce
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 16 ounces egg noodles
- 24 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Reserve about 2/3 cup of shredded mozzarella and 1 cup of pasta sauce.
- Brown ground beef, sausage and onion, adding crushed garlic when almost done. Stir in pasta sauce and all dried spices.
- In a separate bowl, combine cottage cheese, mozzarella and 2 raw eggs.
- Spread one-third of meat sauce in a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Follow with a layer of uncooked egg noodles. (Simply "dump" the noodles on top of the sauce and spread with your hand to create a thin even layer, completely covering the sauce. Follow by a layer of the cheese mix, and a layer of meat sauce. Repeat procedure until all ingridients are used. Mix remaining pasta sauce with hot water, 50/50. Slowly pour the mixture around inside edge of dish, until the entire top layer of noodles is lightly covered with liquid. If necessary, simply pour the mixture straight on top. Don't worry - it will cook away. Let stand for 5 minutes before putting the dish in the oven. Lightly sprinkle with mozzarella. Tightly cover baking dish with 2 layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (175 degree C) oven for 35-40 minutes. Uncover. If the egg noodles seem cooked (they're so small - you can just pinch one off and taste) -- top with the remaining mozzarella. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, uncovered. Remove from oven, and let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- *** If you have no sausage on hand, just substitute ground beef. I've tried this recipe with ground turkey, and even with a mix of browned ground beef and zucchini, and it came out great. If you prefer - you can broil the top mozzarella layer for a couple of minutes for extra sizzle. Enjoy!