Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great low-fat option for a quick chili, if you don't want to use a slow cooker. All you need is a stovetop and about a half hour and you're good to go. It might not impress the chili-critics, but it's a very satisfying meal at the end of a long day!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans or 1 (8 ounce) can black beans
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sazon goya
- Brown meat, drain.
- Heat oil over medium heat, add onions and cumin seeds until onions are clear and seeds pop.
- Add tomatoes, beans, meat and all seasonings.
- Simmer over low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Note: you can add just about anything to this to jazz it up to your level. We add hot sauce and one chopped green chili. The cumin REALLY brings out the flavors.
This was a good chili recipe, had a nice "kick" to it. Thought it could use more tomatoes and will up the amount next time. Also, thought it could use some tomato sauce, as it seemed a tad watery. But all in all it had a great flavor and was easy to prepare.