Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is used every holiday for my family and it is tried and true. It makes all 20-30 people happy every year. Its a very sweet baked apple recipe that compliments ham and pork dishes very well. If you are going to use it for a large group just multiply the ingredients times howmany aples you use. It will work out just fine.
- 4 apples (granny smith,pink ladys,gala)
- 1 large bowl full water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons crushed walnuts
- 3 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- maple syrup
- brown sugar
- 1 cup apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill a large bowl full of cold water and put 1 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice in the water.
- Cut the apples in half and remove the cores leaving a medium sized pocket in the apple halfs. Place the apples in the water, preferably with the white sides down.
- Mix the sugar and powdered ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the walnuts with the coconut in a seperate bowl.
- Add the 2 tsp of lemon juice to the apple juice in another seperate cup.
- Put the butter in a small pot and put on medium-low heat and melt.
- Once melted add the powdered ingredients and stir well on low heat slowly simmering it. Keep an eye on it so it doesnt burn.
- At this point remove the apples from the water. Pat them dry and place them in a semi deep baking tray.
- The butter mixture should now start to thicken. At this point slowly add a little of the apple juice/lemon juice mixture. Let it thicken and add more. Continue like this till you combine all the juice to the butter powder mixture.
- Now add the walnuts and coconut mix and stir all together well. Remove from heat.
- Now fill each apple with equal amounts of the golden raisins.
- At this point take the mix and spoon an equal amount into each apple half filling the pockets till all the mixture is used.
- Now lightly sprinkle the oatmeal over the tops of all the apples.
- Now lightly drizzle the honey and the maple syrup over the apples and lightly sprinkle some brown sugar over the apples.
- Now bake the apples for approximetly 35- 40 minutes or until the mixture begins to turn crispy.
- Keep an eye on the apples and baste them occasionally with the 1 cup of apple juice to keep them moist and from drying out.
- The cook time depends on the chefs preference (softer apples, stiffer apples).