Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is used every holiday for my family and it is tried and true. It makes all 20-30 people happy every year. Its a very sweet baked apple recipe that compliments ham and pork dishes very well. If you are going to use it for a large group just multiply the ingredients times howmany aples you use. It will work out just fine.
- 4 apples (granny smith,pink ladys,gala)
- 1 large bowl full water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons crushed walnuts
- 3 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- maple syrup
- brown sugar
- 1 cup apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill a large bowl full of cold water and put 1 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice in the water.
- Cut the apples in half and remove the cores leaving a medium sized pocket in the apple halfs. Place the apples in the water, preferably with the white sides down.
- Mix the sugar and powdered ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the walnuts with the coconut in a seperate bowl.
- Add the 2 tsp of lemon juice to the apple juice in another seperate cup.
- Put the butter in a small pot and put on medium-low heat and melt.
- Once melted add the powdered ingredients and stir well on low heat slowly simmering it. Keep an eye on it so it doesnt burn.
- At this point remove the apples from the water. Pat them dry and place them in a semi deep baking tray.
- The butter mixture should now start to thicken. At this point slowly add a little of the apple juice/lemon juice mixture. Let it thicken and add more. Continue like this till you combine all the juice to the butter powder mixture.
- Now add the walnuts and coconut mix and stir all together well. Remove from heat.
- Now fill each apple with equal amounts of the golden raisins.
- At this point take the mix and spoon an equal amount into each apple half filling the pockets till all the mixture is used.
- Now lightly sprinkle the oatmeal over the tops of all the apples.
- Now lightly drizzle the honey and the maple syrup over the apples and lightly sprinkle some brown sugar over the apples.
- Now bake the apples for approximetly 35- 40 minutes or until the mixture begins to turn crispy.
- Keep an eye on the apples and baste them occasionally with the 1 cup of apple juice to keep them moist and from drying out.
- The cook time depends on the chefs preference (softer apples, stiffer apples).