Recipe by JanetB-KY
This makes old fashioned southern rice pudding into something decadent. When I make this, I sometimes serve it with a strawberry or raspberry sauce...helps to cut the richness while at the same time adding those calories we all need so much :p I sometimes double this & in my household of 7, it lasts one full day tops. The Southern U.S. grows and eats a LOT of rice and recipes like this are much loved down here.
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (that's by the recipe,I use 2)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (I use 1 1/2 there)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat milk and salt to boiling.
- Stir in rice; reduce heat.
- Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Cover; cook about 45 minutes or until milk is almost absorbed and rice is tender and creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Add vanilla, almond extract and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Pour into large bowl; cover.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about two hours.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Cover; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If serving with a sauce, spoon a little bit of the sauce into your serving dishes and layer it with tthe pudding.
- Doing that makes for a pretty visual effect to go along with the wonderful taste.