1 hr 15 mins
This makes old fashioned southern rice pudding into something decadent. When I make this, I sometimes serve it with a strawberry or raspberry sauce...helps to cut the richness while at the same time adding those calories we all need so much :p I sometimes double this & in my household of 7, it lasts one full day tops. The Southern U.S. grows and eats a LOT of rice and recipes like this are much loved down here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat milk and salt to boiling.
- 2Stir in rice; reduce heat.
- 3Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 4Cover; cook about 45 minutes or until milk is almost absorbed and rice is tender and creamy, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add vanilla, almond extract and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- 6Pour into large bowl; cover.
- 7Refrigerate until chilled, about two hours.
- 8Fold in whipped cream.
- 9Cover; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 10If serving with a sauce, spoon a little bit of the sauce into your serving dishes and layer it with tthe pudding.
- 11Doing that makes for a pretty visual effect to go along with the wonderful taste.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Worlds Best Southern Rice Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.9
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 41.4 mg
- Sodium 154.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 4.8 g