Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My family has been making raita this way for as long as I can remember. It's simple and delicious. The trick is to use mustard seeds instead of cumin. The mustard gives it a kick, but if you want you can reduce it. Yummy!!!
- Whisk yogurt until smooth and set aside.
- Grate or dice cucumber. I think grated cucumbers enhance the flavor.
- In a spice grinder or blender crush the mustard seeds into a powder consistency.
- Combine yogurt, cucumber, and mustard seeds and set aside for 30 minutes. This lets the flavors blend in and the mustard can do its job.
- A few minutes before you are ready to serve add the salt. Adjust salt according to your needs. Enjoy!
I love raita and this is an excellent version. You are right -- the mustard seeds set this dish apart. I made a half a batch, but used all of a small seedless cucumber. Couldn't bring myself to use a tablespoon of salt, so stopped at a teaspoon. Next time I'll use 1 1/2 teaspoons. Thank you for a great recipe.