Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was my great grandmother's and to this day everybody who tries it just loves it. The secret is the sauce: it is just the right balance of sweetness. Mmm it's just so yummy.
- 750 g beef mince (depending on the amount of people being fed)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 egg
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- milk (enough to make the misture very moist)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon coffee
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 drops lemon juice
- Combine all meatloaf ingredients except the milk in a large bowl (I find this is easiest to do with hands).
- Add the milk until the mixture is very moist
- Form the mixture into a loaf shape and place in a baking/casserole dish big enough for the loaf to fit with additional room.
- Place into 180º pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Then pour sauce over meatloaf ensuring the entire surface gets a coating of sauce and replace in oven for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan on a medium heat until it just begins to come to the boil.
- Pour over meatloaf.
i messed with the recipe a little bit...added lamb at a 3/1 ration, increased the curry by 50%, and used coconut milk instead of water in the sauce. holy smokes! this was a huge hit! my wife and i had our first dinner guest as a married couple and everyone loved it!
i doubled the recipe in order to have lunch/leftovers for a bit. i will definitely be making this again!
Very good and very easy to make. Like others, I did not use the water. Otherwise, I followed the recipe to the letter. One thing that was confusing was the back and forth between metric and english measurements. It should be 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef. And cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I am thinking next time try a pork and beef mixture and use the coconut milk. Sounds wonderful!
Well I made this tonight. I added Worcestershire to my meat before cooking it. Also with the sauce I omitted the lemon just because I didn't have any and added a little brown sugar to it! This smells and taste Amazing!!! Love it and will make again. I also used Italian bread crumbs.