Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This wonderful recipe for the world's best mac and cheese is from Kurt Beecher Dammeier's "Pure Flavor" cookbook. Serving size noted is for use as a side dish. I you'd like to make it a main dish for 4, I suggest doubling the recipe. Doing so well add to the cooking time, as well. Add 10 minutes to baking time.
- butter or vegetable oil, for baking dish
- 6 ounces penne
- 2 cups beecher's flagship cheese sauce (or your favorite jar or can or homemade sauce)
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, grated (1/4 cup)
- 1 ounce gruyere cheese, grated (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter or oil and 8-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Cook penne, according to package direction, for 2 minutes less than recommended on the package.
- Rinse pasta in cold water; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cooked pasta and sauce gently but thoroughly.
- Pour pasta into prepared baking dish; sprinkle with cheeses and chile powder.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.