Recipe by Brandess
This wonderful recipe for the world's best mac and cheese is from Kurt Beecher Dammeier's "Pure Flavor" cookbook. Serving size noted is for use as a side dish. I you'd like to make it a main dish for 4, I suggest doubling the recipe. Doing so well add to the cooking time, as well. Add 10 minutes to baking time.
- butter or vegetable oil, for baking dish
- 6 ounces penne
- 2 cups beecher's flagship cheese sauce (or your favorite jar or can or homemade sauce)
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, grated (1/4 cup)
- 1 ounce gruyere cheese, grated (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter or oil and 8-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Cook penne, according to package direction, for 2 minutes less than recommended on the package.
- Rinse pasta in cold water; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cooked pasta and sauce gently but thoroughly.
- Pour pasta into prepared baking dish; sprinkle with cheeses and chile powder.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.