1/1 Photo of World's Best Lemon Meringue Pie
I grew up amid the citrus groves of Southern California in the '50s. On summer afternoons we kids would take a nap in the lemon grove, sun warming us, bees buzzing overhead. This pie tastes like my dreams there!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 pie crust, baked
- 1In saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt; blend in water.
- 2Stir, while bringing to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until thick, about 5 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat.
- 4Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return to hot mixture.
- 5Bring to boiling and cook one minute, stirring constantly.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Add lemon peel and butter.
- 8Slowly stir in 1/3 cup lemon juice.
- 9Cool to lukewarm; pour into cooled pastry crust.
- 11Beat egg whites with 1 teaspoon lemon juice to soft peaks.
- 12Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form and ALL the sugar has dissolved (test with fingers).
- 13Spread over filling, SEALING to edges of pastry to avoid shrinking.
- 14Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees Fahrenheit) 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- 15Cool pie thoroughly.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for World's Best Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2998.6
- Calories from Fat 858
- Total Fat 95.3 g
- Saturated Fat 33.9 g
- Cholesterol 559.0 mg
- Sodium 1499.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 517.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 378.2 g
- Protein 29.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: