Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Submitted By: Johnchandler: "It takes a little work, but it is worth it."
Make and share this World's Best Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally,
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt,.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C),.
- To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving,.
I first saw this recipe on All Recipes and just wanted to say. its definetly worth the effort. I added some spinach to the ricotta mixture. Also, instead of boiling the noodles just soak them in very hot tap water until softened. Thank You for posting, now I can put it in my cookbook.