Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe may take a bit more time and have more ingredients that other lasagna recipes but it's all worth it when you taste end result. Courtesy of John Chandler.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water.
- Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce.
- Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Excellent!!! A dish I would be proud to serve to anyone.A real hit with the family. I followed the recipe and made no changes. . thanks for sharing this great recipe
FABULOUS! I finally found a tasty, easy and foolproof lasagna recipe. It's taken me 14 years of marriage to finally pull it off. All I needed was a great recipe. I halved the recipe in a 8x8 baking dish (prepped w/ olive oil) . I'll admit, I cheated. My kids don't like chunks of tomato so I used a gourmet sauce and jazzed it up. I browned (hot Italian sausage) the meats w/ onion and garlic, added the sauce and water. (made sure the liquid amounts were the same). I also added Italian seasoning, fresh basil, parsley, fresh mozzarella. Whipped up an egg white and added it to the ricotta for a lighter texture. I used no-boil sheets and it worked out great. After assembling, I let it sit for about 90 minutes before baking. Baked as directed. I can't tell you how happy I am. SUCCESS! Thanks Dojemi!
My go-to lasagna for special occasions! Today, I added a layer of prosciutto at my boyfriend's request. Amazing!!