1/37 Photos of World's Best Cinnamon Raisin Bread (Not Bread Machine)
3 hrs 45 mins
Lydia Holton's Note:
This is the best Cinnamon Raisin Bread I've ever had! It really has a great consistency and smells WONDERFUL while baking. I made this for the first time about a year ago and since it makes 3 loaves, I gave one to my neighbor. Now she asks for it constantly and since it is so fun to make, I oblige her, plus I get to keep the other 2 loaves!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup warm water (must be between 110-115 degrees)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup raisins
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (approx.)
- 1Warm the milk in a small sauce pan on the stove until it just starts to bubble, stirring occasionally.
- 2Remove from heat.
- 3Let cool until lukewarm, about 120-125 degrees.
- 4Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside until yeast is frothy, about 10 minutes or so (make sure your water is at the correct temperature or the yeast won't activate.) Then mix in eggs, sugar, butter salt and raisins (stir in the cooled milk slowly so you don't cook the eggs.) Add the flour gradually to make a stiff dough.
- 5Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for a few minutes until smooth.
- 6Place in a large, buttered, mixing bowl and turn to grease the surface of the dough.
- 7Cover with a warm, damp cloth and let rise (I like to let my bread rise in the oven with the light on. It has just the right amount of heat and keeps the bread out of drafts.) Allow to rise until doubled, usually about 1 1/2 hours.
- 8Roll out on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle 1/2 inch thick.
- 9Moisten the dough with 2 tablespoons milk and rub all over the dough with your hands.
- 10Mix together 1 cup of sugar and 3 tablespoons cinnamon and sprinkle mixture evenly on top of the moistened dough.
- 11Roll up tightly (the long way).
- 12The roll should be about 3 inches in diameter.
- 13Cut into thirds, and tuck under ends and pinch bottom together.
- 14Place loaves into well greased (you can use Crisco or butter for this) 9 x 5 inch pans and lightly grease tops of loaves.
- 15Let rise in warm place, uncovered, again for about an hour.
- 16Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until loaves are lightly browned and sound hollow when tapped.
- 17Remove from oven and let cool on rack.
- 18Take melted butter and spread over tops of loaves.
- 19After about 20 minutes, lay loaves on their sides and remove from pans.
- 20Allow to cool before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for World's Best Cinnamon Raisin Bread (Not Bread Machine)
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.5
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 25.5 mg
- Sodium 83.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 4.1 g