Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes from "Rosie's All-Butter, Fresh Cream, Sugar-Packed, No-Holds-Barred Baking Book" and is perfect in every way. It has been THE chocolate cake recipe in our house for better than a decade.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot strong brewed coffee (or 5 tsp instant coffee dissolved in one cup hot water)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 345 degrees.
- Lightly grease 2 8" layer cake pans Melt the chocolate- set aside Sift sugar, flour, baking soda and salt togather into a large mixing bowl In a separate bowl, blend the hot coffee, sour cream, and vegetable oil with a whisk With the mixer on low speed, add the coffee mixture in a stream to the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat just until smooth Add the chocolate and mix until until the batter in a uniform color.
- Divide the batter evenly and pour into prepared pans Bake until the cake springs back to the touch.
- Do not wait for a crust to form.
- 35-38 minutes.
- Cool, frost, enjoy!
Wonderful, very moist cake! Tried it with the instant coffee - no so nice. Tried it again with really good coffee - rave reviews.