2 hrs 45 mins
This is my Mom's fantastic chicken and dumpling recipe. Of course there are as many C&D recipes as there are Southern mom's, but this sure is good to me and you don't have to cut shortening into the dumplings like others. I encourage anyone who tries it to adjust the thickness and quantity of dumplings to their suiting, This is mine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 -5 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, halved
- 2 celery ribs, and tops
- 4 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1Combine chicken, celery, onions, carrots, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, broth in large pot. Add enough water to cover chicken.
- 2Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- 3Remove chicken and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- 4Remove 1 cup of broth and strain.Set aside.
- 5Remove meat from bones and discard skin and bones; add meat back to broth.
- 6Return broth and chicken to simmer.
- 7In a large mixing bowl, combine reserved broth, 1 tablespoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 2 chicken bullion cubes and approximately 3 cups of flour; mix well add enough flour to form stiff dough.
- 8Roll dough with rolling pin until approximately 1/8 inch thick or desired thickness thickness; cut into strips.
- 9Drop strips into soup; simmer for 20 minutes, stir occasionally.
- 10Mix corn starch with 2 tablespoons of water and add to soup. Add butter and cream, mix well.
- 11Bring to a simmer and then remove from heat; let stand 30 minutes (or as long as you stand to wait).
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for World's Best Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (1060 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1172.4
- Calories from Fat 655
- Total Fat 72.8 g
- Saturated Fat 29.4 g
- Cholesterol 318.8 mg
- Sodium 3116.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 66.4 g