1/25 Photos of World's Best Butter Cookies
I tested 8 different butter cookie recipes, looking for the "perfect" butter cookie. It had to be buttery, a little crumbly (like shortbread), and not too sweet. This is the winner. I think these are the Worlds Best Butter Cookie, courtesy of Chef Alice Medrich.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla together until smooth and creamy.
- 2Mix in the egg yolk until well incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl at least once.
- 3Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
- 4Scrape onto a lightly floured board and knead a few times, just until the dough smooths out.
- 5Turn onto a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a log, wrap up and refrigerate for several hours or freeze.
- 6Before baking, preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 7Line your baking sheets with parchment.
- 8Slice the dough into slices about 1/8" thick and place them on the sheets about an inch apart (they won't be spreading very much, but they need air room around each cookie).
- 9Bake until JUST beginning to turn golden around the edges, about 16-18 minutes.
- 10Note: you can do many things with these cookies.
- 11You could roll the dough out and cut shapes.
- 12You could slice them even thinner and sandwich them with chocolate or jam or lemon curd.
- 13You could make them and then dip them half into chocolate.
- 14You could just make them and eat them, which is my favorite.
- 15Whatever you do, they will be delicious.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for World's Best Butter Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (652 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 66.4
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 14.0 mg
- Sodium 12.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 0.6 g