Recipe by Charlotte J
This is from Oneota Community Food Coop in Decorah Iowa. I picked it up with a bad of bulk mixed beans. I posted a photo of the bean mixture so you could see all the different beans and grains in it.
- 2 cups dry 18 bean soup mix
- 2 quarts water
- 1 ham hock
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 chili powder
- 1 pint tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the beans and place in a Dutch oven.
- Cover with water and soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and add the water, ham hock, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours until beans are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 30 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham hock from the soup.
- Remove from bone, chop and return meat to the soup.
- Serve with your favorite homemade bread.