Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my very favorite sponge cake. It has a marvelous taste and texture, but also, because it is amazingly easy to prepare. This cake is a base for many desserts and is a great recipe for your repertoire.
- 6 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 tablespoons grated orange peel, about
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar at high speed for about 10 minutes or until eggs have tripled in volume and are light and frothy.
- On low speed, beat in flour only until blended. Fold in orange, lemon and vanilla. Pour batter into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan and bake in a 350°F oven for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until a cake tester, inserted in center, comes out clean. Do not over-bake. Remove from the oven, INVERT, and allow to cool. (If your tube pan does not have the three little legs for inverting, you must invert cake over the neck of a large size soda bottle.).
- When cool, remove from pan and serve with fresh sliced strawberries and whipped cream. It can also be served with a faint sprinkling of sifted powdered sugar. Serves 10.
- NOTE: DO NOT under-beat the eggs or cake will lose volume. If your mixer does not have a very low and gentle setting, then fold in the flour by hand.
- Easiest & Best Coffee Cakes and Quick Breads.