While we are doing Low Carb, we miss a slice of bread or the ability to take a sandwich to work. This allows us the freedom to do just that. * The sugar is totally consumed by the yeast and does not contribute to the carb count. This bread is approximately 4 grams of carb per slice.
- 4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (90-100 F)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten flour
- 1⁄4 cup oat flour
- 3⁄4 cup soy flour
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed
- 1⁄4 cup wheat bran
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dark rye flour (optional)
- In the bread machine pan, put the water, oil, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and the seeds if you are using them, with the exception of the yeast and baking powder.
- Mix well.
- Take out appoximately 1/4 cup.
- Pour the rest of dry ingredients into the pan.
- Mix the reserved 1/4 cup of dry ingredients with the yeast and baking powder.
- Pour into the bread machine pan.
- On our machine, we use the three hour bake cycle.
- After 55 minutes, gently lift the dough out and remove the paddle and place the dough back into the machine.
- This way, you will not have such a large hole in your bread.
- If you do it on the 80 minute cycle, remove the paddle after 30 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Place in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator.
- This bread seems to slice better when it is nice and cold.
- Makes great toast.
- This bread is a little more"spongey" in texture than regular bread.