1/1 Photo of World Famous Horseshoe Sandwich
"Horseshoes" are a Springfield, Illinois original, first created by the chef at the "The Red Coach" for his luncheon clientèle. The story goes that he had a lot of extra cheese sauce left over one day and decided to throw it over the "chopped steak" and gravy sandwiches the patrons were always ordering. He added some shoestring potatoes on top, and a sensation was born! This recipe is a update of the original (which called for a whole cup of flour!) and your family will positively beg for more. Don't skimp on the cheese sauce. If your appetite is smaller, cut this in half. Then you have what we call around here, a "pony shoe"!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) package frozen french fries (or homemade)
- 6 pieces Texas toast thick bread or 6 pieces other thick bread
- 1SANDWICH PART: Form 6 hamburgers and season to taste.
- 2Cook them, trying to keep them as evenly flat as you can.
- 3Keep warm.
- 4Begin to fry french fries.
- 5Keep warm.
- 6Toast bread until crisp.
- 7SAUCE: Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan.
- 8Stir in the flour.
- 9Cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- 10Gradually stir in the 4 cups milk.
- 11Stir and cook until thick.
- 12Transfer to a large microwave-safe bowl.
- 13Whisk in the evaporated milk until smooth.
- 14Add the cut up Velveeta (OR Cheddar).
- 15Microwave for 6 minutes.
- 16Take out and stir.
- 17Add the Worcestershire and hot pepper sauce.
- 18Microwave for another 3 minutes or so, or until the sauce is smooth and hot.
- 19Take out and taste for Worcestershire and hot sauce.
- 20Place spoon you were stirring with on a clean plate, away from the stove.
- 21If mixture seems to harden too fast upon cooling, add a bit more milk.
- 22Note: I know this seems like a lot of cheese sauce and you may cut it down if you wish, but the cheese sauce is the main attraction here.
- 23It is hard to have "too much"!
- 24Assembly is in this order: toast, hamburger, lots of cheese sauce and french fries.
- 25I promise, you'll have no leftovers.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for World Famous Horseshoe Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (665 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1886.6
- Calories from Fat 1012
- Total Fat 112.5 g
- Saturated Fat 61.3 g
- Cholesterol 384.2 mg
- Sodium 4698.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 126.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 20.8 g
- Protein 91.5 g