This recipe is adapted from "Robert's Absolute Best Brownies" from Leite's Culinaria website.I have tried dozens of brownie recipes but this one is my all-time favorite. The addition of unsweetened chocolate makes these the deepest, richest, most decadent brownies ever!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil.
- 3Place bittersweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds (don't skip this step or the chocolate will scorch!) until mixture is melted. Cool to lukewarm (don't skip this step either or the eggs will curdle!).
- 4Once mixture is cooled, stir in the sugar, pinch of salt, and vanilla until combined.
- 5Beat in the eggs by hand, one at a time.
- 6Add the flour and stir energetically for 3-5 minutes until the batter is thick, smooth, and 'dry'. It will look curdled at first and may have some separated liquid, but if you stir it thoroughly it will reach the correct consistency. (This step is the most important to ensure the brownies have the perfect consistency!).
- 7Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the center feels almost set (with a few dry crumbs when tested), about 20-30 minutes. Do not overbake!
- 8Let the brownies cool completely in the pan before serving. (Note: These brownies will 'mature' and improve in flavor and texture the following day or two after baking. Don't eat them all the first day and you will see what I mean!).
- 9These brownies can be stored, tightly covered with aluminum foil, at room temperature for up to a week.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for World Famous Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (49 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 169.0
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 46.2 mg
- Sodium 28.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 2.6 g