Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
John Willingham's World Champion BBQ Rub Winner of the Memphis in May BBQ Cook off for several years in a row. This is a good general rub for BBQ ribs and for Boston Butts and pork shoulder.
- 4 tablespoons cumin
- 4 tablespoons thyme
- 4 tablespoons garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon msg (optional) or 1 tablespoon other flavor enhancer (optional)
- In a small bowl or glass jar with a lid, combine all the ingredients.
- Stir or shake to mix.
- Use immediately or store in a cool, dark place for several months. This rub is pretty strong and so I do not recommend it for thin cuts (like ribs). But it is swell on heavier cuts of meat such as beef round, prime rib, pork shoulders, and even the whole hog. With this recipe, you have enough for five shoulders or four hams.
- Best if you let the meat marinate, loosely covered, in the refrigerator for a good twenty-four to forty-eight hours after being rubbed.